All of these buildings are in the Evergreen Conference Historic District and listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Twelve of the 20 buildings in this district are on the campus of the Church of the Transfiguration, which strives to preserve the integrity of this remarkably intact complex of historic buildings.
Guest House and Bancroft House
Built in 1892 by Dr. Frederick Bancroft as his summer home with a separate guest house. These buildings were joined and are now the headquarters for the Evergreen Christian Outreach.
This building was originally the top floor of the old Evergreen firehouse. It was moved here in 1966 and used as a dormitory for the Evergreen Conference which was for clergy and music education.
This building is now called the Bancroft Barn. It was converted in 1924 into a dormitory for the Evergreen Conference. This building was most probably here when Dr. Bancroft bought the property. It house caretakers until 1960.
Two circa 1870 cabins were connected in 1924 to make a summer cottage for relatives of Dr. Josepha Douglas and used later to house Conference personnel.
Stone Library and Julia's Cabin
These were built in 1921 for Miss Julia Douglas, who became the town's first librarian. She stocked the shelves with surplus books sent from libraries in the East. This building was the town library until 1971. Miss Julia lived in the little cabin adjoining the library.
This was built in 1910.
This was built in the 1860's.
St. Raphael's Retreat House
The south section was built in the early 1860's as a tavern. Later, the center section was added and the building became the Babcock Hotel. The Sisters of St. Mary began using it in 1900 as their summer quarters. In 1929, Jock Spence added the north end and the following year the Sister's began their retreat ministry in Evergreen. The retreat center continued as an outreach ministry of the Church of the Transfiguration for many years. It is now the Parish Rectory.
These buildings across the road were used by Evergreen Conference. Canon Douglas was instrumental in incorporating the summer music school which became nationally famous. By 1989, the Evergreen Conference ended and the buildings were sold. They date from 1920, 1924, and 1926.
The Hiwan Homestead Museum was the former Camp Neosho (1893-1938), built by Dr. Josepha Williams Douglas and her mother, Mary Neosho Williams. Located 1/2 mile north on Meadow Drive, it is an important link in the history of Evergreen.